Monday, November 9, 2009

Crunchy leaves and sipping chocolate


A week ago, October 29th- November 2nd, our group of 42 students took a trip to Madrid (capital of Spain), led by our amazing director.  Each day was planned out for us, with visits to La Reina Sofia Museum the first day, the Prado Museum and a tour around the historic areas of the city the next, followed by a visit to the Escorial (a huge palace in which the kings of the past lived), and the Valley of the Fallen (a huge monument built by Franco in honor of those who died in the civil war) the third day.  Whew. That was a lot!


My favorite parts of those 3 days would have to be our visit to the Prado where we were able to see works of Francisco de Goya, Salvador Dalí, and El Greco.  There was no way we had time to look at everything in the museum in 3 hours, so we spent our time finding the works of artists we had learned about in class.  I also enjoyed our time spent at the Escorial; there were beautiful gardens that you could see from the windows of the ancient rooms, a library filled with books read by the kings, rooms with the original furniture from long ago, and a marble cellar in which almost all of the kings of Spain and their families were buried (okay, it was a bit creepy, but the room was shimmering with gold and marble, sort of ironic however that we were there on Halloween). 

(Picasso)


(Near the Escorial)


(Valle de los Caidos)

The second to last day we took a bus to Segovia where we were guided on a 2-hour tour and then given time to roam the city ourselves.  After seeing the famous aqueduct and visiting the castle (that inspired Walt Disney’s castle in Snow White), Kailey and I decided we’d like to take a walk down through the city to a church and monastery.  Sadly, we found them closed during the hours that we would be there, but that didn’t stop us from having an amazing time.  We found a beautiful place covered in trees and leaves where we spent a good 20 minutes getting out our desire to stomp on the crunchy ones.  We then found a glistening stream with ducks and just stood there enjoying it’s tranquility (something we can’t find in the city of Granada).  Walking a little more we found a wide-open field of grass with the most picturesque view of the castle.  I’ve probably written pages already about grass, trees, water, landscape, etc. but I just can’t help it.  The castles are beautiful, the monuments are fascinating, but there is something about a sunny and crisp fall day in a quaint Spanish town.  After roaming, Kailey and I ate delicious bagel sandwiches and sipping chocolate yum yum. By far, I believe this has been one of my favorite places in Spain. 

(Aqueduct)



(Beautiful field and Castle in Segovia)

                                               
(LEAVES)


(Oregon!... psyche, Segovia!)


The last day we took the bus to Toledo where we were giving free time the entire day to wander.  We visited the cathedral, a monastery and a church in which we were able to see the famous painting of El Greco “El Entierro del Conde de Orgaz.” Are you starting to see a theme in my Spanish Adventures, church, monument, castle, church, monastery, statue and church?  We visited some tiny shops around the town and sat ourselves down to eat at a little pizzeria.  I would never have guessed that I would be eating the best pizza of my life (thus far) in a small town in Spain.  Roquefort cheese, mushrooms, oregano, and tomato sauce.  So simple, but YUM! My stomach’s grumbling thinking about it! hehe. Shortly after our meal, we headed back on the bus… destination, Granada.   


(Toledo)






This past week we had a pretty big test for our culture and civilization class, I’m glad to have that out of the way.  This coming Thursday I’ve got a test in my Spanish art history class and Friday is the Dele exam.  A test, which if I’m able to pass, will certify me as an intermediate Spanish speaker.  No pressure, right? 


Amidst all the “schtuff” I’m learning to relax more, easier said then done though.  I’m learning to give more than I receive, I’m learning patience, I’m finding that the small, beautiful things in life make my heart lighter, and I’m learning to be thankful for all the I am given.


I’m thinking of home a lot, friends and family, but I know that time will fly just as quickly as it already has.  Annie has already started a countdown until we go home, but I’m trying not to think about the days remaining and just take one at a time.


Thank you for your prayers, I feel them from all the way over here..
Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment