Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Un Fin de Semana (Weekend) en España



This past weekend was jam-packed. I spent lots of time studying for the 2 exams that I had yesterday and yet still found tiempo libre to:

Take a walk through Granada with "the group," led by our wonderful tour guide, Alfonso. We went to La Capilla Real, a church in which the Catholic Kings (Los Reyes Católicos) are buried. There is also a monument built within the church honoring them. We weren’t able to take pictures inside of La Capilla Real, unfortunately.  There were so many works of art from the renaissance, it was incredible to walk through and see them. The crown and staff of Queen Isabel the Catholic were on display, as well as some of the royal garb. I wish we were given more time to spend there, but we had places to go and things to see.

(Outside of La Capilla Real)


(Picture of the Catholic Kings monument)

The Cathedral of Granada. WOW! So grand, immense, beautiful, and mind-boggling. How was something so incredibly intricate and enormous constructed so perfectly? I cannot wrap my mind around it. The pictures I took can do a better job of trying to explain its beauty… but still cannot compare to witnessing it. I wish I could tell you how tall it was, how incredibly massive the columns were, or describe for you the distinct “cathedral” smell. The alter was simple, with a stunning domed ceiling above, decorated with stars, representing God’s dwelling place in the heavens.  I loved the stained glass windows and was fascinated by their complexity (and again, wondering how in the world they were able to place them as they did). Here are some pictures, but keep in mind, they do the cathedral no justice…



(That's me, the columns are HUGE)






Something completely unrelated to the ancient museums/architecture/churches/cathedral is… bullfighting. Yep, Annie and I this past Sunday witnessed our first ever “Corrida de Toros” here in Granada. We learned about bullfights in our culture class: the 3 different parts, the symbolism of the bull and the matador, which areas of Spain are more accepting of this type of entertainment, and why it is a highly controversial event. I’m glad we’d learned about it a little before hand, to have a better idea of what we were signing ourselves up for.

A normal bullfight consists of 3 matadors and 6 bulls (2 per matador).  All 6 bulls are normally killed, but occasionally some are spared and are sent back to pasture. The second bullfight was the most interesting to watch. The bull was putting up a good fight and the matador was skilled with his capote (cape). At one point during the fight, the matador tripped and fell on the ground. The bull attacked him, goring him in the inner thigh. He got up and walked to the side of the arena. They put a tourniquet around his thigh, just like a large rubberband, and he went back out to fight. Incredible. The fight ended, and the matador walked away with an ear of the bull. If the matador does a good job, he is awarded trophies (one ear, two ears, or two ears and the tail for a completely perfect fight). The crowd during the fight waves white handkerchiefs to show its approval and whistles to show its disapproval. Overall, it was an interesting experience. The music, decorative suits that the matadors wore, and the crowd yelling, “OLAY!” as the bull passes through the cape, were my favorite parts. People have asked if I would go to another bullfight and I’m not really sure.  I think I would much rather see the “encierro” or running of the bulls and the big celebration of Sanfermines in Pamplona, Spain.

(Me before the bullfight started)


(Matadors)






(Winner, the one that got gored in the leg. He's holding the ear of the bull)


Things at home here have been going really well. I’ve found a church to attend that is only 20 minutes walking from my “piso” (house/apartment).  They are very welcoming and they have a youth group that meets on Saturday evenings.  It’s so neat worshipping and listening to sermons in another language, knowing that God knows and understands all.
Our host mom is still amazing! I love sitting at the table after lunch or dinner.. and just talking with her. At times I’m not able to formulate the correct words and Annie jumps in to help- or just looks at me with a confused face wondering what in the world I’m trying to say. Haha. It’s comical at times.
We start our new classes on October 7th, after we come back from the Basque Country (San Sebastian, in northern Spain). We’ll be taking a politics class, art history class, grammar class, as well as the same culture class that we’ve been taking.

I’m excited for what these upcoming weeks bring!

Here’s where I’ll be:
Oct 1-6: San Sebastian
Oct 7-8: Granada, for the start of classes
Oct 9-12: Valencia

Hope that all is well where you are…
Mi amor y Un abrazo muy fuerte,
Libby

1 comment:

  1. You saw a bullfight?! Jealous... but glad you're having a good time!

    ReplyDelete